Saturday, June 1, 2013

Spring Ramblings

Wow - it's been crazy busy, photoshoots for LamanBlu and Hang Ten Gold, Memorial Day Weekend, the end of school, the start of a strange summer break for the kids (feels more like November with blustery winds and periodic snow than summer dawning).

I'm faced feeling a bit blustery myself actually.  We're moving our offices today to downtown Denver, next to Ralph's Industrial Sewing.  We've used the DDI studio there for quite some time for various activities, but now we'll have our very own spot.  We'll still keep our mountain design studio - too much solitude and inspiration generating to walk away from entirely, but we've simply outgrown our space.  I'm excited and a little sad in all honesty.  But I guess the only constant in life is change.

My kids are changing too.  My daughter, going into second grade is truly becoming independent.  My son, just entering his teenage years is a whole different story.  He's in the midst of wavering back and forth from wanting to be dropped off somewhere just to explore his independence (away from parents) and then still wanting to hold my hand during an intense part of an action movie we're watching together.  It's sweet, but makes me a little wistful.  When did he grow up so much?  I can't believe how the past 13 years have flown by.

And it's spring, and I miss my mom.  She passed away suddenly just over 6 months ago.  Sometimes it seems like much longer and sometimes it still seems like yesterday.  Memorial Day was a big reminder of her loss.  It's always been a big holiday for my family growing up - the first weekend we splash the boats in the water and head to the lake for 3 days.  Most families have standard meals which become traditions for Christmas or Easter - our meal tradition was Memorial Day.  Smoked baby back ribs, tabouli, baked beans dressed with bacon and homemade peach ice cream.  Even though we now live too far to partake in the boat and lake festivities, we still celebrate with the same meal.  It was sad making it this year knowing she wasn't around.

But it is spring, the season of new beginnings, a season of hope.  Things are good.  I'm thankful for family and friends and a great job.  Let's remember to stop and small ALL the spring flowers - not just the roses.  It really is a beautiful life.

Salu,
Holli

No comments:

Post a Comment